Monday 25 April 2011

Pain de Campagne


This is my first loaf from Mick Hartley's Bethesdabasics - Sourdough made Simple and I started with his Pain de Campagne, a classic white sourdough. The recipe and instructions are easy to follow and the loaf was lighter than I expected possible from a sourdough starter. 

If I said we had bread and cheese for Easter Sunday lunch it sounds a little austere, but when you realise that the bread was fresh out of the oven, and the cheese a very special mature organic cheddar alongside an unpasteurised Smoked Lancashire, then you may agree that coupled with a green salad it was a veritable feast. 

If you are sad like me, click for further photographs....





Guides to food photography warn against the over-use of arty shallow depth-of-field photography, but I like the effect when the available light is low because I can avoid flash. Most of my photography is with a Nikon D40 with a 35mm prime lens with the minimum of fuss and time.


No idea how long this loaf could  stay fresh as it will likely to be consumed in less than 72 hours!

2 comments:

  1. Another beautiful loaf! I like the sprinkles on the top :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah the sprinkles... the recipe said put some sesame seeds in with the rye flour in the proving bowl, but I forgot. I thought I could sprinkle some on before the loaf went into the oven... but most bounced off. Oh well. Less is more, so they say...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.