Monday 18 April 2011

Wild garlic gnocchi

aaaaa


Never made gnocchi before. This is what happens when you read other people's blogs. Carl @ lynnlines had recently made nettle gnocchi which, to be honest, you would just have to make because it sounds so good on the tongue. I had planned to have a go too but that wild garlic patch kept calling me. I found a recipe on the internet from Demuths restaurant in Bath which I loosely followed though decided to boil my potatoes and used a potato ricer to get that lump-free texture. My first attempt at shaping the mixture was not all that successful, resembling fish fingers rather than any gnocchi I have ever seen. So, at the suggestion of my despairing wife (I am a messy cook...) I halved them before immersing them in boiling water. I am not sure which of us was the most surprised when a minute or so later they did actually bob to the surface. With a tomato sauce and some parmesan the resulting meal was pleasant enough, and very garlicky!


Today I had the remaining for lunch with a little lemon butter and basil. The lemon went well with the garlic. Both dishes tasted better than any shop bought I have previously tried but I need a little more finesse in the kitchen!


I still have 50g wild garlic to play with so another pesto is planned.

3 comments:

  1. Ray, glad to help with some inspiration,. These gnocchi sound and look really good. The sauces sound like a really good match.

    Finesses only comes with practice - so you need to make *lots* more :)

    Cheers

    Carl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carl, yes I think I will :). I do want to try to do something with the nettles too. I have used them before with potatoes to make a hearty soup and they were delicious. Will keep an eye on your blog to see what else you are foraging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its lovely to make your acquaintance Ray.
    Thank you so much for your comment on my blog and also Thank you for having me in your blogroll.

    Sadly I am not much of a grower now, I lost my allotment plot last year in a fire, but i do try to grow a little in my tiny garden space and pots - its actually how I got started.

    Your wild garlic gnocchi looks lovely. I made some nettle ones last year and am hoping to make a wild garlic version. Gnocchi does take a little time to master and you can only get better by practice.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.